Entrepreneurship is still a new concept for most Afghans because of the lack of information, limited access to the internet, and problems with the education system. The Founder Institute, as one of the first incubation programs in Afghanistan, started its activities in 2014. The program could offer its early graduate entrepreneurs to the Kabul market in 2015. Since then, the founder institute offers incubation programs and contributes to shifting mindset on starting and doing business in Afghanistan. We currently have many youths who know about entrepreneurship and want to be part of the positive change while working on sustainable businesses.
As I believe currently stepping in as entrepreneurs in Afghanistan doesn’t mean only starting a business and making revenue. However, it contributes to more essential aspects of job creation, providing solutions, and contributing to Afghanistan’s better and peaceful future.
Some points that might inspire you to start a business in Afghanistan are as follow:
- As human beings, we are all gifted with one unforgettable gift. Strive to discover the things you are good at! We all have one thing within ourselves that we can understand, learn, and do better than most people. The problem is, not all of us try to explore that. Therefore, you need to take the time to explore different areas and understand what you are passionate about because passion leads to success. Are you very good at fashion and design? Are you one of those with excellent writing skills? Are you better comparing to the majority in terms of public speaking?” Discover your passion and make it the core part of your business; I guarantee that nobody else will do the business better than yourself.
- We are fortunate to live in Afghanistan, the land of opportunities. YES! I did not use the term The Land of Opportunities by mistake. From an entrepreneur’s perspective, the best places to start a business are the higher number of challenges because more challenges would require more solutions. Taking action by providing solutions to those challenges is more opportunities for entrepreneurs. Therefore, Afghanistan is a great country to start a business in.
- Entrepreneurship can help you learn about your true potential. Human beings can develop by progressing their knowledge and different skills to a very high level. Working for others can bound one by comfort zone, limitations, and the number of activities. However, using an entrepreneur will help one discover one’s true potential and self. As an entrepreneur, one needs to perform better than the rest because the team members always look up to the entrepreneur; that is, the leader.
- Finally, develop your passion. You can learn more than a master’s degree program within the very first year of your startup. You can grow as a person and work on your social life by building a network. Furthermore, the better solutions you find to daily challenges, the more money you can make. Thus, why not enjoy the life that does not stop reminding you of the importance of your presence, your loved ones, your country, and this world.
I recently had to deliver a motivational speech in a program called “Youth to Business” organized by Association Internationale des étudiants en sciences économiques et commercials (AIESEC); therefore, I thought that sharing my thoughts with the broader audience would be very good.
My speech consisted of three parts:
- Why should you start as an entrepreneur in Afghanistan?
- How can you start?
- What to create?
This article covers only the first part; stay tuned by checking my medium account to read more about the second and third parts.